Having a healthy smile can bring a wealth benefits. Not only does it improve the health of your mouth and body, but it also boosts your confidence and mental attitude about yourself. We’re here to give you some tips to make your smile healthier and brighten up the whole room.
1. The most obvious tip for a healthy smile is to properly brush and floss. We recommend brushing twice a day and flossing once a day. Make sure you brush for a full two minutes and use a soft-bristled toothbrush that you change every few months. Also floss in between every tooth and you are on your way to a healthier smile.
2. Another big tip to a healthier smile is to see your dentist regularly for checkups and exams. You should see visit the dentist every six months for checkups, cleanings, and treatments for any small dental issues you might have. Visiting the dentist regularly will ensure that you catch any problems early and can properly treat them before they become a serious threat to both your oral and overall health. Studies show that gum disease, when left untreated, can be linked to heart issues. Make sure your always go to the dentist twice a year to prevent any of this from happening!
3. Want a healthy smile and a healthy body? Watch your diet! Dark drinks and smoking are the main causes for yellow teeth, cavities, and even tooth loss. If you must drink coffee or dark soda, try to drink through a straw to avoid the teeth altogether. Also try to keep your diet full of colorful fruits and vegetables to prevent gum disease and give your body the nutrients it needs. Limit the sugar and drink water. Following these tips will help your jawline and your waistline!
4. Listen to your mouth. Even if it is not time for your routine appointment, you should see a dentist at the slightest bit of oral pain. At your routine appointments, your dentist should be able to prevent any problems from escalating, but sometimes things happen in between appointments. Make sure you are in tune with you body and talk to your dentist if you notice anything abnormal.
5. The last tip is to try not to compare your smile to others. We are all different and unique in our own way, including our teeth. Just like hair color, some people will naturally have whiter teeth than others. Some will have longer teeth and some may have shorter teeth. There is no such thing as a best smile, so be happy with yours and thankful that you have healthy teeth that allow you to eat and chew. Always remember, a happy smile is the healthiest!
We want to see you have the healthiest smile possible. Call us today if you have any concerns or need to schedule your next routine appointment.