Everyone assumes that when they get older they will lose their teeth and wear dentures. Thankfully, this is not always the case. In fact, if we take care of our aging teeth every day, we will be able to enjoy a healthy smile for a lifetime.
As we get older the nerves in our teeth are not as large as they are in a younger person’s mouth. This causes cavities to go undetected and often overlooked. Furthermore, it is important to see your dentist for regular checkups, x-rays and teeth cleanings.
What are some dental conditions that may occur with age?
Dental conditions such as periodontitis, dry mouth, root and coronal caries may occur with age.
What are some tips on how to keep aging teeth healthy?
• Brush twice a day and floss between teeth daily
• Drink a lot of fluoridated water, this will help prevent cavities
• Stop smoking, this will prevent gum disease and tooth loss
• Visit your dentist regularly by getting x-rays and regular teeth cleanings
• Eat a healthy diet with low sugar
By choosing a healthy life style by eating less sugar and maintaining your teeth every day, your smile should end up lasting a lifetime.
For more information on aging teeth, click on this link to read this article.