The type of cancer that everyone hears or reads about the most is usually cancers such as lung, breast, and brain cancers. Unfortunately, we rarely hear about oral cancer, and tend to overlook that cancer could actually develop in a person’s mouth.
In case point, even though oral cancer does not top the list of leading cancers, it too is a serious devastating disease, with a 5 year survival rate at 60% or lower. In fact, that would be more than enough reason to call your dentist and set up an appointment to get your mouth screened for oral cancer. Unlike other cancers, oral cancer signs are easy to detect at their earlies stage.
Getting checkups and oral cancer screenings is easy and inexpensive. On your next dental visit, ask your dentist for information on oral cancer screenings, and what to expect during the exam.
In order to help prevent and protect yourself from oral cancer below are some simple steps that you can take to protect yourself from this deadly disease….
1. Ask your dentist to screen for oral cancer on your next visit
2. Stop smoking cigarettes, pipes, and cigars
3. Stop using smokeless tobacco products including electric cigarettes
4. Do not consume alcohol products excessively
5. Eat a balanced diet of nutritional food
6. Avoid being overly exposed to the sun
To learn more about oral cancer and the symptoms, read this article. Also, be sure to contact your dentist today, and schedule an oral screening on your next visit.